View Single Post
Old 25th September 2020, 10:42   #23
tourer
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer CDT Auto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Trident View Post
I fitted the new steering column this afternoon. Everything went to plan, and yes it does fit, well it fitted straight into my 2004 facelift anyway.

I used the white plastic pipe, silver gaffer tape and plenty of silicone spray to change the rubber gaiter over.

A result! No more steering wheel wobble.

Inspection of the column i removed shows the play is in a bearing at the lower end of the tube. I wouldn't have believed there could have been enough pressure on that bearing to wear it out in 120k miles. The only real explanation I can think of is that maybe its because that bearing sort of takes the strain of the slight bend in the column as it heads down to the connection with the steering rack.

I did say in Post 5 that the play in mine was at the bottom end of the column. I thought it was a bush.
The strange thing was, mine started at 9 months old having covered about 5 thousand miles and only ONE month after Rover went belly up in 2005. It never really got any worse, and it wasn't until 2016 I swapped it purely in the hope it might stop the tickover vibration, which it did.
I only tried it because I could buy such a cheap LHD one.
tourer is offline   Reply With Quote