View Single Post
Old 14th March 2021, 15:56   #16
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevestrat View Post
Your info is a bit off Rich, Police did attend the Rangers fan's gathering at both Ibrox and George Square, 28 arrests were made and numerous fines issued.
Quote:
Originally Posted by newhavenhibby View Post
There were 500 on duty in Glasgow and 250 in reserve on the Sunday. There were arrests and fines given out.

The thinking was that if they had tried to break them up serious violence would have happened ( if you know the reputation of sevco fans !) and secondly many would have returned indoors to have impromptu celebration parties which again would have been illegal and no doubt the Police would have received numerous calls from nearby residents to come and break them up. They thought it best to control them outside ( especially as covid spreads more inside).......rightly or wrongly.

The problem in Glasgow was that the Police didn't stamp down on it the previous week at Livingston and the day before at Ibrox. However as we saw at the build up to the vigil, they were told it was illegal and not to do it but some still went ahead.

The club have to be at fault for not being more forceful with their statements prior to confirmation of the title plus the action of the players and management was poor which encouraged the response.

Always going to happen to some extent as we saw in Liverpool, Leeds and numerous smaller celebrations last year. The authorities on all sides needed to be more aware from earlier on.

Big question and test will be..... will they gather again. Time will tell.

By the way, Glasgow Rangers died in 2012 ......they are now just The Rangers FC
At the time I saw this on the news,I had not known of police attendance and arrests.
The quote in red, I have no interest in football, hence my ignorance of their correct name.