View Single Post
Old 14th March 2018, 14:11   #29
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyjim View Post
I've removed some very flat 'OE' rings on a couple of occasions, so I don't believe these are fit for the job ...I recall that your EPDM experiment didn't end well either.
That’s right; both MGR OEM and EPDM ‘O’ rings flattened. That told me that it is not the material which is at fault, therefore it is not safe to conclude that the ‘O’ rings are not “fit for the job” particularly as many V6 owners have not had this problem at all!

Also Jim, I have found the notes obtained from the ‘O’ ring company which I used. They said that Viton is rated for use with water only up to 100 deg. C which, of course, leaves insufficient safety margin on a cooling system which regularly reaches that temperature. For that reason alone I would recommend that you return to the MGR OEM ‘O’ ring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovel View Post
Kaiser's thoughts on trying to source a slightly larger o-ring either in cross section or OD might be the most realistic option for you ...
I tried a slightly larger ‘O’ ring Gary (32.92 mm ID x 3.53 mm cross section) and my thermostat housing was written off when attempting to fit it. So I would not recommend that approach.

Simon

Last edited by SD1too; 14th March 2018 at 14:19.. Reason: Adding information
SD1too is online now   Reply With Quote