View Single Post
Old 13th March 2018, 22:12   #24
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser View Post
Ha ha, OK, so you have one car that never brakes down and never has any trouble.
I didn't say that, as readers of my posts will be able to see.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyjim View Post
I really don't want to go down the k-seal/radweld route ... These are bodges I know, but doing a proper job doesn't seem to be working.
Jim; like you I thought I had done "a proper job" but my 'O' rings kept flattening. Rather than adopt desperate 'bodger man' techniques I realised that I had not yet discovered the cause of the problem. That's where the real solution lies.

In your shoes I would renew the 'O' rings using the genuine MGR part. I'm not sure that Viton is a suitable material for this application. Resistance to antifreeze and temperatures in excess of 115°C are required and when I researched the options some years ago EPDM was the best choice, not Viton.
You've already got the housing with the three supporting lugs, you've tightened the bolt to the recommended torque and you've set the straight pipe clips correctly. Remember that there are many V6s around which do not suffer this leakage problem (including those using OAT) so it must be something that we are doing!

Simon