View Single Post
Old 21st October 2019, 11:42   #17
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Lawrence View Post
This time i used standard hex head nuts on the inboard arm bolts, so needed to assemble them before putting it back on, but i have a 3" stubby spanner that will fit in the slot on top of the subframe with it back on the car so i can torque them up that last bit with the wheels on the ramps.

It is a bit heavy to manipulate back with all the bits on, but 2 trolley jacks helped guide it in to place and the long fixing bolts helped, once the first one was back in it was easy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Lawrence View Post
Rear subframe, upper and lower arms, springs, discs shoes and pads, all refitted today.

My short stubby 18mm spanner that i bought from ellesmere market in a set of 10 for a fiver solved the trouble with spinning captive nuts. There is just room for it to go in from the top of the subframe while you torque up the inboard bolts, and use a proper hex nut instead of those silly round ones.
David - how did you get the proper hex nut in? Surely the stupid welded slot /cage contraption is in the way and stops the spinning round nut from being removed.

PS. The welded slot /cage idea would have been ok if they'd made it from heavier gauge steel, instead of bendable lightweight stuff.
Blink is offline   Reply With Quote