View Single Post
Old 15th January 2019, 04:17   #8
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat View Post
Sorry Phil, forgot to answer your question about your wildlife shot.

From the distance you took the shot from I don't think a flash would have been of any use anyhow.

For me I would suggest shooting in manual wide open and setting a fairly quick shutter speed for quick moving subjects.
I would set the focus to single point expansion and on servo tracking.

Also try and get the subject as large in shot as you can so you don't need to crop massively in post production, as it only throws away megapixels/detail.

Set the iso to auto so you can concentrate on your aperture and shutter and let the camera set the iso to make sure you get correct exposure.

With the focus point try and get it over the eye nearest you of the subject you are shooting or at the very least the centre of the head.

Thats pretty much how I shoot the Puddy Tats and should work well with the monkeys
Good morning Jeff, how was your night on the boat?

Thanks for the tip about the focus point over the eye. One problem I had with that was the issue of the lens focusing on a blade of grass in front of the lion’s eye. In essence the eye was slightly out of focus and blade was crisp and sharp.

The other point when photographing locals here, I have to be careful not to lighten the skin too much post edit to bring out the facial features. One local said, “that’s not me, I am black, not white.....”
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote