View Single Post
Old 22nd November 2019, 15:46   #7
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

I do know that water leaking under the rear window lower trim/surround creeps past the usually perished shell seals for the clips and flows underneath the boot top (parcel shelf area). It then runs either left or right and down the slope towards the rear lights. From there it either drips off onto the outer boot floor or runs down past the lights from where it eventually pools in the wheel well. Where the boot side liners are wet isn't necessarily where it's getting in. My floods happened after fitting the LED MG7 tail lamps. I was convinced they were the problem and spent ages trying to make them seal 'better'. In the event, it wasn't the lamps at all. I stuffed newspaper into all the nooks and crannies below the parcel shelf area to discover exactly what was going on. The wet spots were quickly found beneath the rear screen.

All I've tried thus far is to seal the rear window rubber to the glass with silicone. I've obviously not got this right yet 'cos I still have a flooded boot after rain. However I noticed that each of the suspect clip positions are accessible from under the parcel shelf area where the bodywork has a hand size hole below each one. You can feel them and the surrounding panel quite easily. That maybe a way to fix the leakage with a sealant without having to do it the book way. That means removing all the trim and replacing the seals or labbering each one with sealant before replacing the surround. I really don't fancy trying that just yet.

TC

Last edited by T-Cut; 22nd November 2019 at 16:03..
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote