View Single Post
Old 9th May 2019, 00:42   #9
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

If I could have found a garage to do it properly for £400, I'd have ripped their hand off. Both garages that quoted me were £800+, wouldn't do it without changing the DMF as well, which most on here reckon is unnecessary on these engines. So I'm halfway through doing it myself (stopped due to weather, and dog bereavement. Checked DMF play - within tolerance. Fitted Rimmers clutch - 3part kit as recommended by Brian with plastic slave. TIP - check the new thrust bearing doesn't spin easily, - properly loaded with grease, it should turn quietly and smoothly, but not spin. If it spins, reject and replace it. Also check it's smooth movement on the guide tube over the input shaft (lightly greased). Also, as per Brian's tip, I have inserted a 100mm length of threaded bar into the top rear bolt hole on the engine, so I can slide the gearbox onto it, and pull it into place with a nut, without hanging the box on its input shaft. Mike (mbev) has been helping, his hands-on knowledge has been invaluable as he has done it before on his tourer, and has lent me some useful heavy duty tools. You will need a deep 32mm socket for the hub nuts - a shallow one will slip off, - plus a long, strong, stiff breaker bar, - 2, half inch drive bars I tried, - one 600mm, one 750mm just allowed me to bounce up and down on the end of them without cracking the nuts. It took a 3/4" drive bar with extension tube to apply enough sharp force! This is definitely a job I do not want to do again!
Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote