View Single Post
Old 12th April 2024, 11:23   #15
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by YHT View Post
... not sure how to tap into the power (as opposed to the controls) to measure ... will have to try a few different terminals.
Hello Norman,

You can't tap into the motor circuit alone as from the technical information it appears to be an integral assembly with the ECU.

One unintrusive method is to place your ammeter in series with the battery and note the reading. Now operate the sunroof and note the increased reading. The difference between the two will be the sunroof's consumption. The ECU electronics' contribution will be negligible so can be disregarded.

You mentioned reports of burned out motors. I suspect that a more accurate description would be that the electronics failed (did owners really take the assembly to pieces to determine the cause exactly?). I experienced exactly this with my Citroën's sunroof, twice! As a result I resorted to operating it manually using an electric window rocker switch. The motor is fine and simply stalls when friction between the panel and runners becomes too great. It hasn't burnt out.

Simon