View Single Post
Old 19th March 2017, 07:32   #6
Canonite
This is my second home

BMW 330d Tourer, MG ZT 180 SE XPG, VW Polo 6R 1.2 TDI Bluemotion

Shine is all in the preparation. If it's never been done fully before, all you are doing is polishing over the top of muck and grime.

1) Start with a detox shampoo to remove all the traffic film, old polish and waxes etc.
2) Use a tar and glue remover to cleanse every panel then re-wash the car.
3) Clay bar each panel to remove all the more stubborn tar and artefacts, then final wash.
4) Now you can compound the car, selecting a product suited to the condition of the paint, personally I like Meguiars stuff. Ultimate Compound removes light swirls and gives a nice clean feel.
5) After compounding I use Meguiars Ultimate Polish, it is a Polish and a glaze sealant so effectively seals in all the work you have done up to this point. A good glaze also has the benefit of disguising some swirls the compound didn't remove.
6) Wax - Debate will rage on for what is best, I just add Farecla G3 Supergloss Paste Wax

Platinum Gold is a metallic paint and the shine can flip from silver to gold in good sunlight. Preparing the paint meticulously before polishing and waxing will allow the light to reflect off the metallic flakes better, and give you that shine.

When I first bought my Typhoon it was flat, ad no shine and looked like Oddyssey Blue.
It took almost 3 days of work to get some life back into it
Canonite is offline   Reply With Quote