Thread: Road Tax Swizz
View Single Post
Old 17th June 2019, 17:33   #60
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinged_bap View Post
I've been on the phone to Chrchills this PM. The chap I spoke to confirmed I have basic 3rd Party insurance when driving my daughters car - even though the car does not have its own insurance. I've asked for an email to confirm this, which they said they'd provide. I haven't received it yet although to be fair, maybe that email gets provided by a 'typing pool' functional area rather than the policy inquiry dept.

Its so kafkaesque, maybe they don't know themselves.
Well every standard car policy I've ever had where the driving other cars extension applies only when the car in question that you intend to drive has cover in place, further to which this cover shall not extend to vehicles where other insurance is in place covering such liability, and as the car is currently uninsured in it's own right, it is very likely to ping an ANPR check, or worse again if you are involved in a RTC, to be personally liable.

Irrespective of that, take a read below, the car can be uninsured and SORN, but not uninsured and taxed

Personally I wouldn't be prepared to take the risk of a large fine, penalty points, or the unthinkable, and nor would I take as gospel anything regurgitated by a call centre operator on minimum wage

Enforcement

The Motor Insurance Bureau (MIB) regularly compares the driver and vehicle records held by the DVLA and the records held on the Motor Insurance Database (MID).

Insurance advisory letter

If you're suspected of being the registered keeper of a vehicle without insurance or SORN you'll first get an official reminder – an 'Insurance Advisory Letter'.

If you ignore the letter and take no further action then you can expect:

A £100 fixed penalty (reduced to £50 if paid within 21 days).
A fine of up to £1000 if the case goes to court.
The vehicle being clamped, seized or destroyed.
How long before you get a letter?

It's important not to let your insurance cover lapse at renewal time as an insurance advisory letter (AIL) can be issued as soon as the MIB identifies a taxed vehicle without insurance.

Whenever you insure a vehicle or renew cover it's a good idea to check that the insurer has actually sent a record of your cover to the motor insurance database (MID). You can do this by entering the vehicle registration on askmid.com.

Exemptions

Some vehicles are exempt from continuous insurance enforcement:

A vehicle with a valid SORN
A vehicle that was exempted from SORN (untaxed before 31 January 1998 and no tax or SORN activity since)
A vehicle recorded as 'scrapped'
A vehicle recorded as 'stolen and not recovered'
A vehicle recorded as 'disposed to the trade'
A vehicle recorded as 'disposed'
A vehicle recorded as 'exported'
A vehicle owned by the crown

You could always remove any ambiguity whatsoever, by simply insuring your daughter's car if she is intending to use it for the purpose of learning to drive.........just a thought

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote