Thread: Road Tax Swizz
View Single Post
Old 17th June 2019, 08:11   #51
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinged_bap View Post
My daughter ( who lives with me) hasn't even passed her test yet, but has a car, taxed and parked in the driveway. She hasn't insured it yet as she's waiting to get her full license. I drive the car occasionally under an insurance clause on my insurance that says (sic): " the insured may drive another car not belonging to them and not hired to them".

So, its taxed, and insured ( under my insurance ) but won't appear on the MID.

I did ring my insurers to check this and they said (sic), you're insured as long as you're driving it. ( So I couldn't park up on the
roadside, and dash into a shop to buy something, whilst I wasn't in it, it'd be un-insured ).
Be very careful here, driving other cars, with road risk only extensions only apply if the car you are driving is also insured.

In any event, the car must remain insured in it's own right to remain taxed, or a sorn declaration must be made, and the tax redeemed.

So driving a car which is uninsured, is at best dicey, and at worst illegal, unless your insurance is worded something like "any vehicle under the insured's custody or control" ie fleet or motor trade, and not your average fully comp standard policy

You would be likely to find this out the hard way, when pulled over after a ping by ANPR

Brian

P.S. by the way, it is licence, and not license, something that you will be sporting six points if you continue to drive an uninsured car
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote