View Single Post
Old 3rd June 2020, 11:37   #15
Supervinnie40
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 1.8 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
More specifically Vinnie:

F32 = ABS ECU (Traction Control not applicable to the 1.8)
F33 = ATC ECU, driver's seat belt buckle switch (white/orange wire). These are supplied via header connector C0723.
F34 = Fuel pump relay coil, ECM

F32 & F33 are only live when the key is in the "ignition on" position.

Your meter probe connections are correct. DC current flows from the battery positive terminal, through your meter from red (positive) to black (negative) then into the car's red battery clamp. Don't reverse your meter leads, you risk causing damage.

Simon
Thanks for the confirmation. I'll continue testing with not switching the pins around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
I'd start with the plenum rainwater drains.

Simon
I check these weekly, but never hurts to check once again. They are bone dry and all plenums are clear. I can see the pavement under the car. Ecu looks a bit dusty at most, but pretty clean and dry. No signs of moisture or waterlines on the cabin filter either.

Unfortunately, the car has made me scratch my head once again. Really confused now!

I realized I never tried what happens when I simply leave the multimeter attached. Not disconnect it all the time. So I got a few clamps and attached the multimeter as above, and left it in place.

First sign (with the 5 fuses mentioned above removed, I saw that the current goes up when the doors have been opened. When I close the doors, the current drops after roughly 1 minute down to 0.06 amp.

I then saw I didn't connect the alternator (took it off last night). So I put that back, and openen a few doors. Amp went up at first, but dropped after a minute to 0.07 amp.

Finally, I put all 5 fuses back and connected everything in the car as normal. At first the amp went up (just opened a door), but eventually it dropped again down to 0.08 and stayed there.

So, with the multimeter connected (and not pulling it loose all the time), the amps go down as can be expected. (0.08 is reasonable I think?)
But if I disconnect the leads, and reconnect them, the amps go up to 0.3 amps, without touching the doors.

I'm starting to loose the plot haha.