View Single Post
Old 20th February 2020, 12:08   #9
Lovel
I really should get out more.......

P6B, L550, Imp, F56, Commando

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitesse View Post
Trying to assist a Norwegian lady owner: she asked her local garage to give her newly acquired V6 a checkover. They found that the oil level was very low and filled it “too much” without measuring the level. The next day the high temperature warning light appeared for the first time. She returned to the garage and they found that one cylinder was out of action. The garage found water had entered No.2 cylinder, saying “this would have happened anyway”. They then removed the headgasket and even the engine & gearbox condemning the engine.

So, you learned fellows, was the leak of coolant into the cylinder just a coincidence, or a result of overfilling the oil? Opinions please.

Einar, you still around?

Regards
The tightness of the set screws clamping the inlet manifold is often overlooked as the engine manifold settles down over time and heat cycles the screws lose some tension and coolant has the ability to weep into the cylinders 1,2,4,6. If allowed to lay long enough the coolant build up could be significant. Every time I have worked on a KV6 I always try and nip the set screws up.
Lovel is offline   Reply With Quote