View Single Post
Old 20th January 2019, 08:58   #88
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyN01 View Post
Thanks for your thoughts, it's appreciated and adds to my considerations and this discussion.

If there is a queue at the speed limit perhaps the limit is too slow? I'm not talking about in built up areas but we have an increasing number of "blanket" 50mph limits where the road itself could easily be driven at three figures - no turnings, no junctions, nothing where another vehicle could "pop out" onto the road and visibility well into the hundreds of metres. What's the reason for the 50mph limit? It's illogical and IMHO turns the whole issue of speed limits into a farce.

I'd be very happy to see much reduced limits when it's appropriate but please stop this "the answer to everything is to lower the speed limit" policy. It creates a "cry wolf" mindset so when there is a real problem experience tells motorists it's a non existent problem and consequently the risk is vastly increased.

How about creating queues on motorways when there's a random reduction in limit for no reason whatsoever? This always seems to produce bunching which, lo & behold, as soon as the speed limit increases the bunching disappears. Increasing the limit removes the queue....

You are absolutely correct that there are different limits for different types of vehicle.
https://www.gov.uk/speed-limits

Yes, tractors, vehicles with trailers and old vehicles etc. travel more slowly and that is, of course, perfectly acceptable because that's the capability/design/regulations for that vehicle.

I was making the point in relation to "motorists" as humans and their competence.

Looking at the .GOV website as far as I can see a car used for the test must be capable of reaching at least 62mph. The inference is surely that the driver must be capable and competent at the National Speed Limit for that vehicle (60mph)?

I'm sure many of us know of "drivers" who are incapable of maintaining a reasonable speed. They are, IMHO, not fit to drive as they do not have the skills to make them competent. The very old joke about never having had an accident but seen hundreds springs to mind.

I completely agree that those who carry out unsafe, rash overtakes are unfit.

Perhaps a question is what leads them to make that choice? Selfishness? A me, me, me "I can put one over on you" attitude which seems to be acceptable and indeed promoted as an excellent way to behave? A simple lack of understanding about the risks & dangers? A belief that ABS, air bags and whatever other gizmos their car has will either stop any collision from happening in the first place or they'll get out of it perfectly OK whatever happens (they are so wrong!). Chasing the next deal or pressure from whoever to get to the next meeting or whatever? I'm sure there's many more.

I'm a great believer in personal choice but with the knowledge & understanding that choices have consequences and accepting those is the price to pay for having that personal choice in the first place.

Where do we set the lines of competence/danger/risk etc.

All the best.

Andy.
Not far from the M40 on the A34 there is a section of 50mph. The only reasons I can think of is noise or pollution so speed limits may not always be about "safety". What about tight corners and roundabouts, these can be in 60mph limits but the limit is too fast for some vehicles to negotiate these hazards and so reducing the limit may take away the temptation to drive at the limit and for the vehicle that does not negotiate the hazard to crash

As for removing speed limits to avoid queues, OMG! So mr sporty is driving at 130 in lane 2, mr slow is doing 55 in lane, 1 mr a bit quicker in lane one decides to move to lane 2 doing 65 mph... can you see where I'm going with this? Reason queues "disappear" on motorways that are free flowing when speed limit increases is because some drive below the limit, some at the limit and some over it.

20mph limit outside schools may cause a queue, is 20mph too slow? perhaps the driver behind has not slowed down to the new lower limit causing bunching. I've not suggested lowering speed limits is the answer to everything.

I feel your "argument" is full of holes and you have not given it sufficient thought.

Only a fool breaks the two second rule. 2 seconds needs to increase in the wet, with heavy loads, when towing a medium to heavy load.

oh, and mobile phones hands free or otherwise should not be used while driving unless an emergency.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote