View Single Post
Old 20th January 2019, 08:19   #87
AndyN01
This is my second home

Toyota RAV4

Thanked 1,579 Times in 968 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
Driving at the speed limit can still end up with a queue behind or rash over taking as others may well speed
You also have to take into account most roads do not have a minimum speed limit and things like tractors don't normally travel at 60 on a road where 60 is a maximum speed limit. Also on some roads there s a different speed limit for a solo car and a car towing plus you need to take into account manoeuvrability and stopping distance and so some vehicles may travel slower to take this into account. What about car that are 70 or more years old, they may also travel slowly compared to a modern car

A blanket statement of " So the motorists who are unable to maintain a reasonable speed causing queues and frustration leading to "rash" overtaking decisions are also deemed not fit to be in control of a vehicle" is ignoring so much.

perhaps those that carry out a rash overtake are unfit???

macafee2

Thanks for your thoughts, it's appreciated and adds to my considerations and this discussion.

If there is a queue at the speed limit perhaps the limit is too slow? I'm not talking about in built up areas but we have an increasing number of "blanket" 50mph limits where the road itself could easily be driven at three figures - no turnings, no junctions, nothing where another vehicle could "pop out" onto the road and visibility well into the hundreds of metres. What's the reason for the 50mph limit? It's illogical and IMHO turns the whole issue of speed limits into a farce.

I'd be very happy to see much reduced limits when it's appropriate but please stop this "the answer to everything is to lower the speed limit" policy. It creates a "cry wolf" mindset so when there is a real problem experience tells motorists it's a non existent problem and consequently the risk is vastly increased.

How about creating queues on motorways when there's a random reduction in limit for no reason whatsoever? This always seems to produce bunching which, lo & behold, as soon as the speed limit increases the bunching disappears. Increasing the limit removes the queue....

You are absolutely correct that there are different limits for different types of vehicle.
https://www.gov.uk/speed-limits

Yes, tractors, vehicles with trailers and old vehicles etc. travel more slowly and that is, of course, perfectly acceptable because that's the capability/design/regulations for that vehicle.

I was making the point in relation to "motorists" as humans and their competence.

Looking at the .GOV website as far as I can see a car used for the test must be capable of reaching at least 62mph. The inference is surely that the driver must be capable and competent at the National Speed Limit for that vehicle (60mph)?

I'm sure many of us know of "drivers" who are incapable of maintaining a reasonable speed. They are, IMHO, not fit to drive as they do not have the skills to make them competent. The very old joke about never having had an accident but seen hundreds springs to mind.

I completely agree that those who carry out unsafe, rash overtakes are unfit.

Perhaps a question is what leads them to make that choice? Selfishness? A me, me, me "I can put one over on you" attitude which seems to be acceptable and indeed promoted as an excellent way to behave? A simple lack of understanding about the risks & dangers? A belief that ABS, air bags and whatever other gizmos their car has will either stop any collision from happening in the first place or they'll get out of it perfectly OK whatever happens (they are so wrong!). Chasing the next deal or pressure from whoever to get to the next meeting or whatever? I'm sure there's many more.

I'm a great believer in personal choice but with the knowledge & understanding that choices have consequences and accepting those is the price to pay for having that personal choice in the first place.

Where do we set the lines of competence/danger/risk etc.

All the best.

Andy.

Last edited by AndyN01; 20th January 2019 at 08:30..
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote