View Single Post
Old 19th January 2019, 22:41   #81
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyN01 View Post
Surely the vast majority of collisions occur because one human being makes an error of judgement and makes a choice in their actions which has nasty consequences?

Such as, perhaps, pulling out of a junction when there isn't enough space/time to do so and......crunch.

Now, IMHO the focus should surely be on the competence of the driver to be in control of a vehicle. If they are unable to judge the speed of approaching traffic and work out if the vehicle they are driving is capable of pulling out safely without any other road user changing their speed or course then, maybe, they shouldn't be in control of any vehicle on the public road?

Interestingly the knee jerk reaction seems to be a discussion about reducing the speed limit on the major road. I'm going for a person with a flag walking in front of every vehicle . Might reduce the unemployment figures also .

I've posted before that perhaps one idea would be that if you are involved in a collision you have to take a retest. No collisions, no re-test; lots of collisions, lots of re-tests costing lots of ££££'s.

Oh, and an inability to drive at the speed limit when & where appropriate is a fail. So the motorists who are unable to maintain a reasonable speed causing queues and frustration leading to "rash" overtaking decisions are also deemed not fit to be in control of a vehicle.

The issues around what sort of vehicle is the "best" to have collision in is a bit cart before horse to me. How about 30+ tonnes of truck? Apparently they can stop in about a couple of car lengths at 60mph if what I regularly see on motorways is anything to go by. Not too sure how a 4x4 copes with that?

Many years ago one of the motorcycle magazines did a test with riders wearing a helmet ('cus it's the law) & swimming trunks. The idea was that the rider felt (and indeed was) much more vulnerable so they would alter their riding "style" accordingly.

I seem to remember it worked to a degree. The riders were much more "defensive" in their style but were not a huge degree slower overall.

Lots of factors, lots of choice, apparently no simple solutions.

Looking forward to more discussion.

Andy.

Driving at the speed limit can still end up with a queue behind or rash over taking as others may well speed
You also have to take into account most roads do not have a minimum speed limit and things like tractors don't normally travel at 60 on a road where 60 is a maximum speed limit. Also on some roads there s a different speed limit for a solo car and a car towing plus you need to take into account manoeuvrability and stopping distance and so some vehicles may travel slower to take this into account. What about car that are 70 or more years old, they may also travel slowly compared to a modern car

A blanket statement of " So the motorists who are unable to maintain a reasonable speed causing queues and frustration leading to "rash" overtaking decisions are also deemed not fit to be in control of a vehicle" is ignoring so much.

perhaps those that carry out a rash overtake are unfit???

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote