View Single Post
Old 15th February 2012, 19:02   #9
GeoffWW
Loves to post

Rover 75 CDTi Tourer Connoisseur SE Auto, Also fully restored Mk 2 1966 MG Midget

Smile Tourer / Rear light clips

Hi,

I bought four of these white "sockets" before Christmas (not sure who from - Rimmers or South Lakes) because I had to replace the large black plastic bracket that the small screw on the outer end of the loading edge, below the light unit, screws into.

As said above - naff , -- very poorly sized both for the hidden body mounting clips and the pin socket

Thinking of wanting to avoid breaking the new one to be used, (the other unbroken old one appeared to be a better fit than the new ones), I placed it in a mug of very hot water to try to soften it up, in readiness for the ball on the end of the mounting pin. No luck, - it still broke one of the sides off whilst inserting the pins ball-end, even with vaseline applied to ease fitting.

On whether to fit them on to the body first, I found the hidden securing clips were too close to the "baseplate" and would not open out once pushed through the square hole. I tried it " both ways" but no difference either way. To remedy this, I used the edge of a junior hacksaw blade to "file" a very small amount of the end of each clip, trying the fit, then removing more until it cleared the thicknes of the metal edges around the hole, and locked in.

For the sphere on the end of the mounting pin, I opened up the shoulders of the socket, with a round file to make it easier for the the pin end to be pressed in "by hand". This also allowed removal by a straight gentle pull, rather than a major levering operation, putting the whole light unit and clips at risk of being damaged because of the heavy forces formerly required

I was glad I purchased 4. But at the price charged (should have been letter post), they should fit exactly and not require micro engineering to make them fit properly.

Best of luck,

Geoff.
GeoffWW is offline   Reply With Quote