View Single Post
Old 18th May 2020, 20:01   #5
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sworks View Post
I’ve only ever shot studio stuff once and everything was set up for me so the technical side was a bit lost on me. Studio work (in my opinion) is such a personal subject and for me so much better than a nice landscape. Loved the series on Facebook and ever so envious of your kit!
Cheers Mark,

Once you start to get your head round it there are aspects of studio photography that is actually easier. You are in control of the light and can manipulate it to obtain the results you want.
When you rely on ambient light then you have less control of how that scene is presented.

The most important thing I have learnt is to get rid of that ambient light.
Set your scene up, and then without your lights firing you take shots and adjust your exposure till what you see is a black screen.
Then lock that exposure in making sure your shutter speed doesn't exceed your flash sync speed.
Then introduce one light at a time. Key light usually being the first. Make sure the light from that is correct with your already dialled in exposure and then just repeat the process with the other lights.

Of course, if you have a light meter that should speed the process up considerably......That's next on my wish list