View Single Post
Old 9th April 2019, 18:30   #19
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

Ian, I agree with you entirely that when ‘jobs for the boys’ trumps merit it amounts to a dereliction of duty on the part of the boss. That’s his fault, the wrong decision, and he will pay the price eventually in one way or another. The effect on the unsuccessful applicant for the job is disheartening to say the least.

That the law should take the decision out of the employer’s hands and make it illegal is, in my view, quite another thing. If the unsuccessful applicant is protected under certain categories, we all know what they are and most of us would applaud that, then the law will take precedence.

Unfortunately everyone knows from experience the world is rarely fair and I for one, although disliking the example you stated, reluctantly declare for the boss’ right to favour family or social connections.

I’m not saying it’s the right thing to do in any way at all, just understandable and frankly what many people would do. For all anyone knows the boss in question may have had some other reason that arose prior to interviews and he felt obliged to comply. I feel for those affected in this way, I’ve had some.