View Single Post
Old 5th October 2017, 20:14   #13
alanaslan
Gets stuck in

75 Tourer Automatic conn, 75 Saloon Automatic Conn, The Monograme Spice Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudge.g View Post
I had to change a rear tyre on my tourer yesterday and I had a real pig of a time trying to raise the back up to get the wheel off the ground. I couldnt reach the jacking point in the rear centre as its simply not possible with the rover jack so i wondered what people use? I eventually managed it using the bottom of the damper to raise the wheel a few cm but this was far from safe and I wouldnt do it again. any thoughts guys? thanks for reading.

Hi I use a 3 tonne sports car barrel roller trolley Jack when working on the car. This has the advantage of being extremely low when fully compressed less than 65mm, it also has a great reach 380mm to the centre of the pad from the cantilever action. Finally it has a large pad surface and came with a variety of insert neoprene pads.
I have had this jack for many years and service it every other year new seals and oil change. with its large needle roller carried rollers both front and rear it moves smoothly on the ground when lifting the vehicle always keeping the jack at the best angle for a safe smooth lift.
I bought this jack when I worked on sports cars as it offered the clearance to get under the main chassis legs of the low ground clearance vehicles that I used to work on. It is so much easier to use than a normal 4 castor trolley jack and will easily go under the lowest track car. Sadly I can't see the make on it due to its age.
When out and about in the passed 30 years I have only had to change wheels due to road damage to tyres three times twice in the passed year. On both of these occasions I have used the jack supplied with the car. I have found it easy to do with the jack fitting well into the sill plate and raising the car to a height, making it easy to remove the damaged road wheel and still high enough to fit the fully inflated spare wheel. In summer that is a 225x45x17 tyre with full tread. Whilst in the Winter it is a 205x65x15 or 195x65x15 depending on which had the best deal on price at the time of purchase.
Please, Please, Please make sure that when you raise your car on a jack that the jack is securely mounted on the cars jacking point. If you are going to be doing anything other than a wheel change raise the car and place Axel stands lowering the car on to the stands before commencing any works. You should never attempt to carry out works with the car only supported on a jack.
As well as the cars own tool kit I carry a battery powered impact gun for bolt removal, a sign of my old age. All of my wheel bolts are covered with copper grease on the threads and the bolts are spline drive security bolts.
Please everyone remember our cars are big lumps and need to be treated with respect. You all keep your selfs safe you don't want a tonne and a half of Rover on top of you, it would hurt.
Alan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
alanaslan is offline   Reply With Quote