View Single Post
Old 1st February 2016, 08:00   #9
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

The answer is quite simple I'm afraid

The immobilisation and remote central locking are two entirely separate systems.

Locking is controlled by the BCU, and immobilisation by the EWS.

In programming a new transponder, yes the car will start using that key, but for the locking side of things to work, the remote board must be introduced to the car using T4.

Still, it's still a lot better than having simply a "dumb" key

Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by genpk View Post
Ok , got the blank chips ,plugged in the EWS Editor Lite,read the EWS module out of the car, coded a blank transponder chip using one of the spare keys listed in the EWS and low and behold I now have a spare key that starts my car, only issue is the remote controls do not function with that key.
Still work fine with the original.
From what I gather the EWS talks to the ECU and if all is correct it will allow the car to start BUT the body control unit is the thing that govern locking etc so if it doesnt recognize the new key it wont allow any remote locking to happen.
Ive tried the press the fob lock button 4 times etc,stand on your head and scratch your ...... but nothing appears to want to synchronize the new fobs remote.
Wonder if the transponder chip needed to be in the fob when coding it to the EWS,as in does the fob itself have some impact on the programing ?
Need one of you gurus out there!!!!!
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote