Old 26th August 2019, 20:15   #16
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike2000 View Post
Time for a quick update.

When I described the symptoms, the garage said they thought the timing belt had failed. As the car shed its coolant over a few days, I assumed the water pump had failed.

I called the AA to check the car - on turning the ignition the car jolted again. The AA man said the head would have to come off, and reluctantly towed me to the garage.

Today I got the verdict - the timing belt is fine, the problem was the starter motor!

The garage can find no reason for the coolant loss, so any ideas on this?

Hardly surprised, just read through a page of discussion on the timing belt wondering what the heck it had to do with a starter motor fault. Glad that investigations haven't gone down that route at expensive to yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Could it be a leaking water pump or did the garage expose it and examine it for leaks? Sometimes it can just be a matter of a drip which can easily be missed.

Simon

Coolant loss is a separate issue, as Simon says it needs proper examination of potential leak points.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote