View Single Post
Old 7th November 2018, 19:41   #3
Lovel
I really should get out more.......

P6B, L550, Imp, F56, Commando

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballymenaman View Post
My 1.8 T has been sitting in the garage these last 2 years, waiting for me to do some work for the mot. I've been using my V6 instead. Engine in the turbo has been started the odd time, but not for the last 6 months. Last time I started her the coolant was at the correct level.

I went to start it the other night and thought I'd check the coolant level before I did. There was no coolant in the reservoir. Took about 400ml to top it up. How can a car in storage, not being run, lose coolant? I looked for stains on the floor - none there. Carpets inside bone dry.

She always lost a wee bit of coolant every time she was in use, but it was usually only maybe a hundred ml. Always a coolant smell but no obvious leaks. The IMG has been replaced, as was the plastic 'T' in the coolant hose (with an alloy one). Fan resistor also done. There is no mayonnaise under the oil filler cap.
You may have replaced the IMG but if the brass ferrules have pulled through or the manifold is warped you may never get sufficient squeeze on the new gasket. Better watch out for hydraulic lock on pistons 1 & 4, remove the plugs before turning over.
Here’s my theory on the manifold.
https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...03&postcount=1
Lovel is offline   Reply With Quote