Thread: Engine died!
View Single Post
Old 25th April 2022, 16:55   #1
Torqueofthedevil
Avid contributor

Wedgwood Blue 75 Connoisseur saloon, Duotone 75 Connoisseur saloon. Former ZT190 and ZT260 owner

Default Engine died!

Cruising on the M5 yesterday, I suddenly felt the car stop pulling (no vibration or loud noise, although my wife and I both noticed a faint ticking sound). Put it from D into 4th, no change, the engine had died. Managed to get it onto the hard shoulder and stop safely; several warning lights had come on (I think it was Engine Management, Oil and Battery) but I was a bit busy so I didn't make notes! While my family were getting out of the car, I turned off the ignition and tried to start it again, but no joy (turned over but wouldn't catch). The first recovery guy who turned up checked all the usual things and reckons it's the crankshaft sensor; sounds reasonable, but I'm no mechanic and the hard shoulder isn't the place for trying my very limited diagnostic skills anyway. The recovery home turned into an epic faff, and I was in work first thing this morning, so I haven't had a proper chance to look under the bonnet.

Basically, does the diagnosis sound plausible, or is it as likely to be something else? If that is the problem, the Haynes manual suggests that the sensor can be cleaned and refitted without much difficulty (it's a V6), but is that alone likely to cure it, or should I aim to replace it?
Torqueofthedevil is offline   Reply With Quote