View Single Post
Old 16th June 2021, 05:34   #2
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffa75 View Post
Hi all,

I've so far had issues with a thermostat opening too early (still is) but thankfully no leaks
Expansion caps, the first new cap ordered after fitting the thermostat kit and while bleeding the system, noticed after allowing the engine to cool that the top hose was collapsing (vacuum effect). When removing the cap, the centre section that screws into the expansion bottle remained screwed inside the expansion bottle. (Appeared the little black locating lugs on the under side of the cap weren't big enough to help retain the centre section of the cap that goes inside the expansion tank).

Ordered another from another supplier and... It leaked from the get go.

I've recently ordered a supposedly "genuine mg Rover" item from another supplier and just from looking at it, I don't believe it is.. the centre yellow section that usually has 140 stated, is blank. The centre section to cap appears a looser fitment than the current one fitted to the car (the current one on the car is the one the car came with when I bought the car).

Rob
That is an issue that applies to many marques that are no longer made and the oem no longer in business (Lucas as an example). One has to hope that suppliers (such as x-part) source items which are as good or even better. That is hope. Reality will be that some third tier manufacturer in China or India will supply a pattern of the part and it will be marketed/accepted due to the low price!

Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote