View Single Post
Old 4th January 2016, 12:33   #10
RobSun
Gets stuck in

MGZTT

My ZT-T's brakes are not a patch on the modern cars I drive and they are pretty basic. My Hyundai i20s were far superior even though I got rid of that car with 4700 miles done because it was the most unreliable car I have ever owned starting with its first breakdown at two days old.

The other car I drive is a Golf 1.4s so pretty basic but whenever I get into that the brakes are so fierce compared to the MG I have to adjust how much pressure I apply to the pedal.

The brakes have recently been completely replaced the work done mainly by Big Russ with me labouring and at his recommendations Unipart all round was used. We also did a T4 bleed. These are positive and work well but do need much more effort than a modern. For me that's no great problem as I also have a 36 year old classic and that's the same.

I am not a fan of PAGID (nor is Big Russ) as this car had had new pads and discs fitted about a year before I got it that had done about 6k. They
were ok on test drive but not great and not long after purchase it
suffered massive fade and this was caused by the discs all having hard spots in them. The soft areas had worn faster than the hard and created valleys that filled up with compacted brake dust causing vastly reduced stopping power. The pads were hardly worn just showing groves caused by the discs. Big Russ has told me, and others at meets, that the brakes on this car were the worst he has ever seen on any car he's worked on.

I know a lot rate them but after that experience I would never use them on anything ever again, they nearly killed me.
RobSun is offline   Reply With Quote