View Single Post
Old 4th December 2017, 14:52   #1
p2roverman
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connie Tourer & Connie SE Saloon & Club SE Tourer

Default Power steering fluid leak

I'm having to address a significant power steering fluid leak now that it is a MOT fail rather than an advisory. Car is a 130k mile KV6.

The underside of the engine and suspension etc on the offside is blathered in fluid, as are the pulleys and auxilliary drive belt. Yet I cannot see a leak with the engine running and working the steering. The area around the pump does not seem wet enough to prove that the pump is leaking.

So any ideas? What are the more usual sources of leaks we can expect on a Rover, steering rack seals? pipes? (which appear unavailable from Rimmers), pump? Obviously I don't want to strip off more than I have to, but have made a start with a pump, actually from a spare engine as practise.

With this in mind, I question why Haynes says to slacken the three pulley screws. Also, surely it's only necessary to remove the upper ally casting of the engine mount to access the lower pump screw and also to remove the auxilliary belt enough? This would negate the need to remove the road wheel and wing lining.

Any advice and suggestions would be most welcome, it's too cold to be doing more than necessary at this time of year.
p2roverman is offline   Reply With Quote