View Single Post
Old 20th March 2012, 21:03   #4
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
The system is a bit more clever than it looks!
Indeed. Thanks for your comments. I've tried to give rudimentary insight of the relationship between tank contents and the pumps in so far as we are affected by their failure (through wear or FFS). The basic flow diagrams explain the principles of fuel flow to and from the primary pump and how the fuel is distributed by the venturis. I fear it will be indigestible anyway, so I'm lothe to go into greater detail. The title of the piece may well be over ambitious, I'm certainly no tank expert and there are things about it I left unread. It just seems to me that tank/pump issues are discussed a great deal without any real insight on what's actually happening in the tank. Many threads on this topic assert that fuel is pumped from RHS to LHS because that is what seems apparent. The 'quarter tank' rule is another example. What I hope is that what we see happening during pump failure and the anecdotal fixes for it have a logical explanation. Whether this does that remains to be seen.

EDIT: I did think twice about the results of ITP and UBP failure on fuel delivery, but I feel certain I've read of engines running on the UBP alone. I'll have to go back to that for sure.

TC

Last edited by T-Cut; 20th March 2012 at 21:15..
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote