View Single Post
Old 14th May 2014, 21:21   #17
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser View Post
Two batteries of the same type and condition connected, will perfectly equalize their charges given time. They will behave exactly like two buckets of water connected with a pipe at the bottom.
It is physically impossible to have anything else.
Current will flow until the charge density is equal in both batteries, at which state the voltage will be the same.
No, they won't, they will only equalize their voltage. Once the voltage in each battery is the same no further current can flow ( a potential difference is required for current to flow, . For a typical lead acid battery the voltage remains constant from about 20% capacity to 80% capacity: so for example your flat car battery will come from 18% charge to 20% and your auxillary battery from 100% to 80%, and that's it. (take my figures with a pinch of salt, but you get the gist of it I hope).

There is a way of using a 12v battery to charge another much more than that, it needs a voltage step up circuit to increase the voltage from the charger. (that's one for the electronic engineers), I've no idea why none of these powerpacks or plug in 'emergency' chargers don't use such a system (or perhaps some do?).

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote