Old 17th June 2020, 10:40   #4
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr1100xx View Post
Morning all
I have got myself an amp and subwoofer and was wondering which wiring I need.
The guy in the shop said 8 awg but I got the impression that he knew as much as me.
Somebody else said 4 awg.
It's a 12 " active sub which is 900 watts
Any help on which is best

Stan
Am guessing it is an Edge Active sub (?) and based upon that, and a basic look at the fuse fitted to it, and assuming it is going to be fitted in the boot, 8 AWG would be adequate. However, if it was pushed, or you were going to push it hard, I would want it to have a margin of error, so therefore 4 would be to me, be ideal. However, 4 AWG would be more difficult to thread through the car, and move around (thicker and stiffer), but more importantly, it may not fit into the connector (or a properly sized crimp).

The instructions for the unit should tell you what to use. THIS guide should help.

The instruction of it suggest at least 10 gauge , but that makes no mention of distance of the cable run, but keep in mind the size of fitting on the amp. A workaround to using thicker cable, especially if fitting multiple amps is to use a power distribution block. (heavy cable to the distribution block, and then a narrower gauge cable from there to the amp - EXAMPLE, although I prefered a fused one).

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!

Last edited by clf; 17th June 2020 at 10:51..
clf is offline   Reply With Quote