Thread: Engine Disaster
View Single Post
Old 6th January 2019, 00:03   #10
buchanan
Buchanan

Rover 75 connoisseur se ctdi Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avulon View Post
Thanks Brian. Same as you I know that many times when people have had the diesel engine 'die' on them that as it stalls out the oil light will show. Which shouldn't be a surprise as the ign is on without the engine running. A garage diagnosing oil pump failure was most likely given the same narrative of the breakdown: and it's not unknown for some to jump to conclusions. As for the crank is broken? I'd expect the engine to have gone bang in a really big way with drama and noise of crunched valves at the least. not just 'cut out on low oil pressure'. I do know that although rare it has been known for one of the engine chains to snap and the oil pump is chain driven though.

The one time mine broke down sounded exactly the same: a bit of cough or tick (pinking - if possible in a diesel?) and then dieing with a slight rattle and oil light comes on briefly. In my case it was bad injectors failing causing low fuel pressure in the fuel rail. What would a random garage with no interest in the car or customer have said?

I'll be really interested in the outcome of the investigation.
I am Chief Engineer have worked on Diesels for years, from small to massive in ships. I knew myself it was wrecked, just before the engine cut out there was the click click click of the broken chain, the guys in the garage were all experienced mechanics. Look forward myself to the strip down i am over in March and i might call and see him.
buchanan is offline   Reply With Quote