View Single Post
Old 18th June 2019, 17:13   #49
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

?
Quote:
Originally Posted by trikey View Post
Currently between 30 and 40% more than the standard grade I’m afraid, we are trialling biodegradable resins at the moment, for packaging they are up to the job adequately, the problem is the customers are reluctant to pay the extra cost.
And this is where legislation is required. I was as guilty as anyone with the free throwaway plastic shopping bags.

Why didn’t I buy a permanent shopping bag as use that?

I think the answer was convenience, laziness and inertia. Despite me having the will and motivation to do something - I didn’t.

If a better alternative to plastic is available then I believe it will take legislation to introduce it - but we do need to be certain what we substitute is less harmful.

Look at the diesel debacle!

A classic example of legislators getting it wrong.

So I also believe we should explore the use of containerised burning of plastics for energy production - as well as the conversion of waste plastic to fuel.

Could it possibly be that if these Fat Bergs and plastic waste dumped in our oceans had a value as a resource - would that be a bigger spur to retrieve the stuff than the ineffective notion that “We really should not be doing this”?

Last edited by Darcydog; 18th June 2019 at 17:15..
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote