View Single Post
Old 10th July 2008, 16:42   #16
Hampton Caught
Loves to post

ex MG ZT-T (sob!), Rover 25 and TR7 dhc pilot, but not all at the same time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by apywell View Post
Here's another question....

I will be carrying the awning and other things on the roof of the car. Would the added weight on the 75 make towing safer or is is not that simple.

I take in what has been said about even distribution of weight in the caravan.
Hi Alan,

There is a measurement of the maximum weight of the car, caravan and their loads (can't remember the proper name for this), so storing the awning will be part of this measurement. Thinking back to my A level Physics, it would seem to make more sense carrying the awning on or in the car rather than in the 'van. You don't want the van to weigh more than the car - or it's tail wagging the dog time!

Re the even distribution of weight - it's not that even! Keep heavy items on the floor in the centre of the 'van, over the axle if possible. I transport my awning there. Doon't be tempted to place heavy items at the very front or rear of the van as you'll be more likely to snake along the road (wagging tail again!).

I've been a member of both Clubs and the C&C Club is fine. They should be able to advise you about the suitableness of the caravan. Couldn't find anything on the web about weights other than a reference to maximum weight being 1,700Kg, which doesn't sound right! Preferably, the caravan should not weigh more than 85% of the weight of the car, including loads. You can go up to 100%, but beyond that and 'you're on your own' - until the emergency services get to you!!!

Back to nose weights - the 75s and ZTs have a maximum nose weight of 100Kg (which is a lot for this type of car). Don't overload this. Put light stuff in the front external locker as this has the most effect on nose weights.

The caravan is similar in size and type to my 2001 Abbey. Newer vans have more kit which means they're heavier, so I expect you'll be fine weight-wise but do check with the C&C Club for reassurance. That's mine as well as yours!

Let us know how you get on!

Steve
Hampton Caught is offline   Reply With Quote