View Single Post
Old 2nd January 2007, 13:04   #24
rover
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyjtl1 View Post
having just made the last payment on my caddy van I thought I shall have another classic motor,maybe a 1966 s type jag,or a 350/450 merc se,then I thought about reliability,maybe not,having a rover 75 at home that the wife uses,and had up till this time only cost us servicing and a tail lamp bulb in 4 years just maybe! I should be looking at an mgr v8.In true bloke style I bought the first one I saw,wowwwwww!!!! x power dodgey se spec(no sat nav)mgr group number plates,BX53 chassis no 0032.The car looked fab,like the car batman would go to the shops in.Sat in it for test drive,turned key,oh my god sounds just like the 3500s I restored(4 barrel webber)5 years ago,drove the car for about 3 miles it was a car on another level I had never been to,as Hammond would say it was like being in a cartoon.
HTML Code:
Went about 10 miles I thought what have I done,this is not what I thought it was,Im sorry everyone but I was thinking MG magnette quick and comfortable,not this.Arrived home,trying not to show my dissapointment,took wife for run she hated it,as we drove along I looked out of the corner of my eye to see her head bouncing up and down,those of you who own one of these know what Iam talking about.Kept car for 6 months hopeing I could love it but no swapped it out for a 54 plate diesel auto pearlesent red tourer,and got a good kicking financialy.Is it good engineering! of course it is!the best.But fun and track use only Im afraid in my oppinion, still miss looking at it.
happy new yearback a week later picked it up and motored home after .
I thought it was just me!
Having taken one for a half day test drive I came to exactly the same conclusion.Similar comparison;on the way back to hand the car in I picked up the wife so she could add her two penneth.Within about 5 minutes she declared the ride was dreadful compared the the CDTi,which was something I already knew.
One of the main reasons for buying a 75 was the ride quality,but that goes out the window with the V8.
I guess however far back you install this lump & modify the suspension,you can't balance the load successfully.
rover is offline   Reply With Quote