View Single Post
Old 19th March 2020, 07:07   #457
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Post 19th March 2009....................

..................................... today is the 11th anniversary of the day that would change our lives forever. For on this day in 2009 it would be the last time that my Val would ever step over the threshold of our home in Barkingside.

Noon marks the time when she collapsed on the forecourt of the Shell garage on the Woodford Avenue, Woodford Essex. Not a day goes by that I think of the what “if’s”. But nothing would have prevented the outcome. It would be another 21 months before the angels came to take her hand. She spent 10 weeks in the *Royal London Hospital in Whitechapel then a further 6 weeks in King George’s hospital in Goodmayes, before finally ending up in Meadow Courtnin the grounds of the hospital.

Normally on this day I would hide away, shut myself off from the world. Refuse to answer the phone, not open the door to anyone. I might venture out but only as far as the cemetery to lay flowers, talk to Val, then return home to the whiskey. I know all about depression, I know all about the Black Dog days, the suicidal thoughts. Been there and collected all the souvenirs. The love of my friends and relatives helped me through along with the doctors and nurses.

But it was ole Yellow that really pulled me out of the pit of despair, along with this club. I would put my name down for every meet I could. I spent more time away from home than in it. Got to see some fabulous cars and meet wonderful people. People I had never met before yet it felt that I had known them for years. And it was through one of these club meets that I was to meet Allen & Val and end up living in Saltash.

Not a day goes by that I do not forget my Val, I still talk to her every day. Ask her opinion. Ask her to keep an eye on my Mum, Dad and my Brother along with her Mum and Dad. Daft it may sound but it gives me a piece of mind that everything is ok up there.
What our parents would make of the world today does not bear thinking about.

Sorry to waft on but just thought I would let you all know why this day is so special to me.

Thanks for reading and the kind comments.

*This is the 10 weeks that my book is based on. The time that Val spent in the Royal London. The book is written but not going to be published at the moment.

233,431. That’s our second meet done, no.3 next weekend.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote