View Single Post
Old 25th November 2021, 20:28   #20
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobSun View Post
I quoted classic cars because this issue is known about in those circles. Your comment DO you not think it applies to modern ones puzzles me somewhat. Why wouldn't I think it would happen in a modern if I know it happens.
You may be surprised by it happening, I'm not. Most modern cars don't sit about not being used therefore do not need these charges so you've probably never known about it. Now when your modern classic is parked up for a few weeks and you buy one and your battery explodes or the charger bursts into flames its news.
My comments were to inform that this issue is not new and to take notice that it happens and more often than you may realise, beware what you buy or even consider going down that route.
I haven't gone down that route due to the issue but disconnect my batteries and then charge if they need it. I find a good battery lasts through the winter layup doing this, just connect up and off we go so find the trickle charges not worth buying.
My opinion but thought it better to just inform there is a known history of this happening.
Hope that helps.
Additional info my Dutch friend said that an inquest in the fire that destroyed the collection was attributed to the charger and there have been others over there that have also. He thinks due to the fact these low cost ones have been available in Europe for longer than the UK is why they know more about it.
Thanks for your reply.---

Perhaps it will help your understanding if you look at my three posts about batteries which can be found in the ---really, really useful information--- thread.--

PS. and also post 15 in this thread as well.

Last edited by COLVERT; 25th November 2021 at 20:31..
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote