View Single Post
Old 7th October 2010, 08:58   #23
Roverron
Gets stuck in

Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post
Hi Ron,

I read somewhere on the forum that you designed the Synergy2, so I reckon your are qualified in making a suggestion about how hard to drive a diesel engine. As one of the 'gentle drivers' I admit to feeling nervous about pushing the car hard. The car has been running smoothly now for the past 2 weeks. Given that there may well be drivers like myself out on the open road, could it be equally prudent to just floor the accelerator whilst the engine is on and stationary with injector cleaner in the tank, or not?

Are we looking at red-lining the tach and if so how often? or would 3K / 4K at least once a month be adequate?

What would you suggest? I am interested in your thoughts.

Thanks

Phil
Its pointless revving it in neutral as the load and therefore fuel flow is little more than when idling.

Of all engines, the BMW one is very strong and reliable and as BMW produce performance cars, intended to be used to its full ability.
With decent performance and our crowded, speed trap infested roads, you cannot really thrash the engine very hard for long anyway.

Certainly take it 4000rpm, in 2nd and 3rd even on part throttle now and again and definitely use full throttle quite regularly even if only to 3000-3500rpm.

Ignore the red line - few diesels make significant power above 4K rpm, its a safe rpm limit and not as some owners think, where maximum power is!
Best performance is achieved by changing up so the revs drop to about 2000-2200rpm. This means changing at well below 4000rpm. If you change up later, you will miss peak torque which is at those sort of revs. Its hard to get some 'sporty' drivers to grasp this though not the more gentle ones like yourself.

Ron