View Single Post
Old 18th July 2022, 16:40   #1
TomTheTyke
Avid contributor

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur, MG TF 80th Anniversary

Default Air Con: Has the heat killed it?

Afternoon all,

Bought my car in September last year. At that time, I had the 'whooshing' noise when the air con was running, suggesting it needed re-gassing. Had this done, bloke said it was very low, but it is a 2001 car and no evidence of air con work anywhere in the history.

Worked pretty much fine since then as far as I have noticed, got cool fairly quick and no strange noises.

Got in the car today after work, dash displaying 37.5C. Fans blowing on high as they should with the system set for 20C, but after 5 or 10 minutes had not blown cold air.

Tried switching on and off a few times (while sweating more and more!), but same result. Almost seems to get cold a bit then revert to blowing hot. Think compressor is running as the car seemed a bit down on power, and revs fluctuated slightly when stationary.

Got home and looked under the bonnet, Low air con pipe seemed slightly cooler than environment but not cold and a 'clicking' noise every 3 or 4 seconds from the compressor area.

Radiator fan did come on once air con was engaged as well.

Surely it's not coincidental that it's gone from working to nothing on such a hot day, but don't know enough about air con to know where to start. Suppose first step is to try it once the surroundings and engine have cooled.

Last edited by TomTheTyke; 18th July 2022 at 16:42..
TomTheTyke is offline   Reply With Quote