View Single Post
Old 5th February 2018, 12:21   #94
RoverP480
Gets stuck in

None at the moment

Just been reading this thread for the first time and would make a couple of observations:-
I had one corroded pipe to the rear on my 75 fail when the ABS was invoked and ended up with no brakes at all, which shouldn't happen as its a split system . Also on a BMW bike with ABS I relate the following:-
I had a near catastrophic situation with the ABS on my BMW motorbike and would recommend doing a full fluid change including the modulator . Normal brakes split front and rear , not combined. Front brake lever worked firmly and excellent braking . I had previously changed the fluid when replacing the brake pads, with clear fresh fluid flushed all through. When I was selling the bike a potential purchaser asked if the ABS actually worked. Although all the start up light check had always gone through without a fault. I had never invoked it on the road. I went out and tried it, braked hard and as soon as ABS operated, lever came straight back to the bars and braking effort dropped to virtually nothing. I re-bled the brake and it was full of dirty fluid and air. I cleared it out, invoked the ABS again , two or three times and re-bled until all clear fluid, and the brakes were again solid both with or without ABS invoked. I believe over 12 years the main fluid had been changed but not in the modulator . I am aware there are all different variations employed by different companies but these two issues makes me believe ordinary bleeding without exercising the ABS modulator can leave air /or dirty fluid in the system
RoverP480 is offline   Reply With Quote