View Single Post
Old 25th May 2018, 15:02   #9
grout20
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connie SE 2.5 V6 Auto

Default ATF change went well ... albeit with an odd bit!

Hi all

A summary of my ATF Fluid change for info....

Rover 75, 2.5 V6, 2001 61000 miles and based on beinet1's excellent thread. All figures are give or take a little bit......

1. Took the car for a 10 mile run up to normal temp.
2. Lifted front of car, although it wasn't level at this stage .... it was down at the front slightly on my drive.
3. Opened the ATF Level Plug first (5mm Allen Key) and was a bit surprised / alarmed that 1.5 litres of fluid came out! Assumed it was related to the angle of the car, or perhaps overfilled before...? Odd?
4. Removed the Gearbox Sump Plug. No swarf attached which was nice ... and a further 2 litres came out. So, 3.5 litres so far. Fluid was dark red and very runny ... not like black treacle as some have reported. It was pretty warm though. Refitted Level Plug. Refitted Sump Plug but forgot to renew the bluddy washer (£6 for a new washer .... one flippin' WASHER! .... from Rimmers ... and I forgot to fit it! Der.... )
5. Added 4 litres of new Smith & Allen ATF402 fluid. Drove front wheels onto a few extra bits of thick plywood until the car was level. Used a spirit level resting on the open door sill and on top of the chrome trim along the rear wing to check the level !
6. Disconnected the Oil Cooler pipe.
(Note for 75driver .... yes it is tricky ...I squirted WD40 over the connection and gently teased the retaining plastic tongue you can easily see/get to over the "lip" with a small screwdriver. Just enough to enable you to slowly wiggle the rest of the connection over the lip and off the stud. If that makes any sense?!)
7. With a 12 inch piece of hosepipe slid onto the exposed oil cooler stud, and fed into an old plastic 2 litre milk bottle, I ran the engine for about 10 seconds. Another 1.6 litres came out.
8. Added 1 litre of new fluid.
9. Ran engine for approx 10 seconds. Another 1.2 litres came out.
10. Added 1 litre of new fluid.
11. Ran engine for approx 10 seconds. Another 1.2 litres came out.
12. Added 1.5 litres of new fluid.
13. Ran engine for approx 8 seconds. Another litre came out. Getting redder fluid out.
14. Added 1 litre of new fluid.
15. Ran engine for approx 6 seconds. Another 0.8 litres came out. Pretty clear, new, red fluid now.
16. Added 1 litre of new fluid.
17. Re connected pipe to oil cooler.
18. Started engine, foot on brake, went through all gear positions twice holding each position for 10 seconds, then back into Park.
19. Kept engine running until the oil cooler casing was quite warm to the touch (no idea what temperature that is ... but was after 3 or 4 minutes)
20. With the Level Plug removed again, a couple of drips came out. I added about 200ml of fluid and it almost immediately started coming out of the plug.
21. Waited until it stopped and tightened up Level Plug, refitted the rubber Filler Plug and Air Filter box (removed at the start)

Took the car for a drive and the gearchanges were definitely smoother.

Well chuffed!

Well done if you've read this far and stayed awake. Sorry for the long thread but hope this is useful, and gives others the confidence to do it.

Couple of pics attached. One showing the color of the old fluid, and the other showing how I stacked up 3 funnels to make the filling up pretty easy.

Happy Roving...

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ATF out May2018.jpg (132.5 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg ATF in May2018.jpg (114.4 KB, 59 views)

My 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE Auto 75 is the
• 20,516th 75 to be made out of 112,381
• 787th 2.5 V6 Connoisseur SE to be made out of 3,671
• 1,248th Wedgwood Blue Metallic (code: JBH) to be made out of 7,515 code JBH 75's
grout20 is offline   Reply With Quote