View Single Post
Old 22nd December 2020, 08:52   #6
victorgte
I really should get out more.......

MGTF, MGZT, Range Rover

The decline began when Leonard Lord took charge. 50% market share and no profit made to reinvest in new cars and production facilities.
Donald Stokes was ill equipped to run British Leyland and the decline continued. Great salesman but not a CEO.
Edwardes made an attempt to stop the decline and turn it around. 15 years too late. The result was the Maestro and Montego which hardly set the world alight. I will say that my Montego 2.0si was a nice car and went like stink albeit with a few quality issues.
E758XMR if anyone wants to check its details.
Easy to blame the Phoenix group but they simply squeezed 5 more years out of a dead duck. The debate about them will go on for many years though.
Putting sentiment aside, I do believe a proper memorial should be erected to honour Herbert Austin and what he created there. We’ll never see the likes of it again.

Just a thought. Very soon there will be a modern, purpose built car production plant available in Swindon. I doubt anyone has deep enough pockets to turn it into a British car manufacturer. Having said that, a blank canvas for making electric cars there might be an option?