View Single Post
Old 18th February 2013, 23:25   #3
david75
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.5 V6 Conn SE, 04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakg View Post
Originally the Xenon sticker was only put on cars that had it - but to save money they combined the three stickers into one and applied it to all cars.

Mine had halogen relectors from the factory, but had the Xenon sticker under the bonnet.
Hi,
The above quote is Post #7 from this thread.

Tonight on leaving work my driver side dip headlamp failed. Was working this morning, now not working. Instrument panel "bulb failed" light on.

Tried to investigate what sort of bulb to buy. Got confused regarding "Xenons" or "not Xenons".

Yellow sticker under bonnet says "Xenons fitted, see handbook".

Went to Halfords and found they want to charge £89.99 a Xenon on special order. Thought “Surely not; a bit more research needed here.”

Came home, found this thread – pics suggest that I have reflectors, not projectors.

Here’s my car:

… compare with the first few pics in the original post in this thread.

Post #7 in this thread says that some cars have the yellow sticker under bonnet that says "Xenons fitted, see handbook", even though they in fact have Reflectors which therefore means they have Halogens.

Also, I have the manual wheel switch to level the headlights – See Post #10 in this thread.

So I conclude:
Even though the sticker says “Xenons fitted”, in fact I have Reflectors with Halogens.

If so, quite relieved because much cheaper, and should be able to replace bulb via wheel arch access panel, not bumper off.

Questions:
Am I right with the above analysis about what bulbs I have?
Any advice on what replacement bulb to get?
Eg conventional Halogen replacement from Halfords, or is there advantage in getting the pseudo-Xenons that Halfords sell (ie conventional filiament bulb, but uses xenon gas for claimed brighter light?)

Help appreciated.