View Single Post
Old 22nd February 2020, 09:13   #12
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odd Job View Post
Me and my better half have been trailer tenting it for the last few years, and had some great holidays, but, unfortunately due to the on-set of time, bad backs, amongst other things, we have decided that a caravan is the way to go, hence my purchase of my diesel ZT saloon.
BUT.

All has not been well in the new car front for me unfortunately, and the ZT has and still is eating away at any attempt to save up for a caravan.
So, this year I was hoping to be our last in the trailer tent, and next year our first in a 'van. Looks like that will have to wait a while as no saving has been done so far!!!

What I'm building up to is this, I will be brand new to "vanning" where as my better half used to have a van years ago with her ex, what ever I do eventually purchase will have to be in the low budget area to begin with.
What does everyone recommend as a first time small van that we will enjoy?
I read lots about damp in vans, is it ever possible to get one thats a good few years old without?
When I do finally get one, how do I stop damp getting to it as it'll be stored outside?

Many thanks

Alas damp is a major problem in the caravanning industry. Foreign vans may be better I don't know. Sounds as if you will require a motor mover for the van. You say small but a caravan is quite cramped and so if there is a choice I would recommend you consider a "4" berth van.

layouts, wow there's a hot topic. End bathroom, end fixed bed, double dinette etc. We prefer double dinette but that is by no means the generally preferred layout.
Facilities, microwave, gas and electric hot water, type of heating.
Do you get one with an electric stabilizing kit such as Al Ko ATC?

you don't need to spend a lot to have a good time but decide on what
facilities you want.

As for storing outside... a caravan port!

good luck

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote