View Single Post
Old 22nd September 2019, 01:18   #27
Comfortably Numb
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Continuing AndyMCs train of thought,- some future government may decree that all households have a full solar array. Most people I know who have a 4kw solar array pay very little, if anything for electricity, indeed many of the older installations, when the feed-in tariff was high (it has been completely discontinued for new installations since March this year) regularly paid out more than their owners used. Domestic solar panels could therefore keep a large battery fully charged, ready to transfer to your EV at any time, avoiding peak time shortages.
Of course, as new safety features such as parking assistance and lane guidance and auto braking become the norm, and our older cars without such features are deemed less safe, we may find insurance costs drive us off the road, indeed, if self driving cars become the norm, or even the law, then we may only be allowed to trailer our cars to closed roads and racetracks for a run out, on home-brewed fuel. I'm not sure my CDT would respond too well to cooking oil, (too sophisticated) but my old Mitsubishi diesel is quite happy on the stuff for much of the year, as were some of my old Pugs and Citroens!
Comfortably Numb is offline   Reply With Quote