View Single Post
Old 6th July 2019, 07:20   #8
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanCo View Post
As the fate of this car depends on me not spending more money on it than I can afford to throw away ...
Jan,

In view of recent replies, whether it's worth spending extra money on a "genuine" part depends upon the part and the price difference. There's nothing special about an air conditioning condenser. It's basically a radiator with a bag of silica gel strapped to the side. I have an unbranded condenser bought from the internet fitted to my Citroën. It's fine. Hundreds of local garages fit aftermarket parts obtained from motor factors every day. It's only the main dealers, tied to a manufacturer's franchise, who will insist upon "genuine" parts for that reason. If you need the car repaired by next week then do the sensible thing and buy what's available at the price you want to pay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanCo View Post
If the o rings are your standard o ring and not a special weird MG Rover thing, can probably get a couple easily enough.
If your present condenser is the original factory fitment, the 'O' rings will be in perfect condition and can be re-used. I've renewed condensers on all my cars ove the years and i used to fit new 'O' rings as a matter of course. As there appeared to be no defect with those I'd removed, the last time I refitted the originals. They sealed perfectly. So don't stress yourself about 'O' rings.

Simon