View Single Post
Old 8th August 2020, 17:48   #154082
Lancpudn
This is my second home

MG ZS EV

Thanked 3,427 Times in 2,565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPWC View Post
Afternoon all, lovely day here yesterday turned out not to be as hot as was forecast, in the north east anyway.It was very humid yesterday though.
On a serious note I spent two and a half hours n the phone to mum’s bank last night, the majority of it waiting for someone to answer the bl00dy phone.
Sadly due to her memory being so poor, she has now forgotten that you don’t give bank or card details over the phone to any company you are not familiar with.
Last summer she paid over 100 to a bogus company for “tv breakdown cover” that she didn’t need as I had recently bought the tv for her so it was still under manufacturers guarantee. Luckily as it was a fraudulent case,the bank stopped it and refunded her money, but since February this year she has set up 5 direct debits for bogus insurances for home emergency cover, appliance cover, internet recovery(she doesn’t have it) and some other bogus b s policy. The bank, with my
authorisation have cancelled all of them and are going to try and block these “companies “, from taking any more payments. I am going to set the ball rolling to get p o a, but I fear we may have to change the bank account number before then. I have now cancelled her card for the third time since this time last year,a nd hidden her cheque book, so any other scammers ring up and want d d set up or card payments,she can’t do it as she doesn’t know where the cheque book is and has no card. P o a normally takes about 8 weeks ,but due to COVID and short staffing in all govt departments,I think we will be lucky to have it in place by Christmas.

I urge all,of you with elderly or infirm relatives and friends to take steps to protect them from scammers, the world is full of horrible people who sadly spoil life for the majority.

Yeah you're right Rich. We got mum to rip up her cards as she was taken advantage off like that,She didn't really know what she was doing with them. My younger sister got POA just before dad died to take care of their money & pay bills.

Blessed are the tea makers.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3b...auto-2000_auto
Lancpudn is offline   Reply With Quote