Thread: New Fuel
View Single Post
Old 15th September 2019, 19:51   #5
Odd Job
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 2.0 cdti

Unfortunately fuel is being messed about with for both petrol and diesel cars.

This will be a bit controversial, but the old 4 star leaded fuel, the actual 98 octane not the watered down 97 octane, produced more power, more mpg than the later fuel.
Yes it contained lead. Yes lead isnt any good for anyone, but, you could travel further for less fuel, plus, outside of the combustion chamber, ironically it is less combustible in atmospheric conditions.

Now, unleaded, less octane, less mpg, less power, but more combustable in atmospheric conditions.

So anyone unfortunate to be involved in a crash with resulted in a ruptured fuel tank or fuel line would be more at risk from a fire than with good old fashioned 4 star fuel.

Dont get me started on "super unleaded" with loads of extra added Benzine!!!!

So, how to make petrol worse?

Add ethanol.
Which will produce less CO2 when burnt, have a lower octane value, be corrosive to plastic and rubber, give less power, less MPG, "phase shift" and actually become water if left in a fuel tank for any length of time, the list goes on.

And diesel?

I'm running to catch up on what you actually buy from the pumps, but corn oil does not make an engine last anywhere near as long as what it used to, it clogs injectors, it causes premature failure of fuel pumps. Etc, etc.
Just look at the carbon build up when you remove an EGR valve and / or inlet manifold!

But at least ( we are told ) that we are doing our bit for the environment. We can sit at home with our special light bulbs and our bag for life , safe in the "fact" we are doing our bit, and not dumping plastics into the ocean, our cars are more "friendly" to the environment,

Sorry, this may have turned into a bit of a rant, I didnt intend it to.

### MG STANDS FOR "MY GREMLIN" !!!
Odd Job is offline   Reply With Quote