View Single Post
Old 21st June 2015, 22:06   #29
jonc3725
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 190 + and MKIV Supra

A busy weekend and not as much done as I would have hoped but thats always the way

Firstly I stripped out the whole interior so that I could clean everything a do a couple of jobs in the cabin

Firstly the carpet was hoovered and washed. Blimey it was dirty

Next was the front seats. I am using the drivers seat from the blue ZT but I was going to recover the passenger side seat.

Passenger side

Drivers side

I decided to use the red Zt's back pockets but both needed repairing

This is quite an enjoyable job and very satisfying when repaired.
Firstly I removed the seat backs as stated in the tech section. This is the hardest part of the job:madhttps://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...ad.php?t=60562

once the back is off then the pockets can be stripped down to their component parts.

First thing to do was to clean the pockets. It was easier to clean with it in bits as there was sticky toffee and a degrading lollipop in there

Next the frame was removed from the pocket and cleaned up. On this frame only one lug is snapped which was good news. On the worst seat the frame was snapped in half so I had to use one from one of my spare seats

With the frame and pocket cleaned they were then threaded together. I had to do a little repair on the top corner where it had torn slightly when it had been pulled down the seat

Next the frame is fed through all the holes in the seat back

and then fastened on the lugs using the fastenings.

Now the trick I used where the lugs were broken was to use the fasting as a washer/spacer and use a self tapper to screw into the lug. This gave a really tough clamp and good finish

The only problem is that where the toffees and lollipop were they have bulged the shape of the pocket

next up I cleaned the seats with an upholstery cleaner and agin they were fifthly

They were left to dry overnight and then sanded with 160 grit wet and dry to de bobble again in the dry mode

Finally the leather was cleaned and treated and the seats built back up. I had an issue with the drivers seat I was using as the height adjustment was not working. I fixed this whilst I was there but the seat does need a tiny bit of welding on one of the front cross beams which I will do in the week.

Next I wanted to inject wax into the sills whilst the carpet was out. I knocked off the foil covers over the holes and removed the blanking caps in the A posts

As we know there is corrosion within the sills so I had a quick look in where I could

Then injected into the sills until it was running out the bottom. I forgot to cover the drive initially which upset the wife

The next job was to change the hand brake compensator for a Harry adjusted one. The difference is huge

I always find it easier to do this with the seats and carpet removed

next I cleaned out the cabin under the carpet and built it up ready to receive the cleaned carpet

the fight with the carpet was then undertaken to get it back in the car. Anyone that has done this knows the fight I was about to have

That was all that was achieved this weekend. A hangover today didn't help
and getting the drivers seat height adjuster to work took ages as I had to strip off the bottom rails etc to get it built back up.

Living the dream

MK IV VVTI Tiptronic TT Toyota Supra
MG ZT 190+
BornTuesday, 10th July 2001 @ 09:01:10
259th ZT to run off the production line, out of 18,894
252nd ZT 190 + to be made out of 4,023
101st ZT in Solar Red (code: CEU) to be made out of 1,888

Last edited by jonc3725; 20th August 2017 at 20:25..
jonc3725 is offline   Reply With Quote