View Single Post
Old 13th December 2014, 08:36   #10
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by farad View Post
And I really do not know when cam-belt was changed if it was ..(because it is 70,000 mile - and previous owner told me I did not have any issue for few years apart from radiator which changed..)

Thanks. farad
Learnt a very good lesson not long after I bought my first car back in the day: Never believe a single thing the seller says.

Go over the car like a rash and carefully check all the paperwork instead.

Then get it serviced as per the manufacturer's recommendations if you have any doubt that it hasn't been done, or hasn't been done correctly.

What your seller neglected to tell you is that belts need to be changed every 90,000 miles or 6 years, so on a 1999 car they should have been done twice by now.

Sounds like the AA man could well have made the correct diagnosis, but as Simon says worth getting a second professional opinion and also see if it can be repaired economically.

PS The exception to the rule I once bought a car from Terry at TSAutos. Needless to say exactly as described and it is still going strong.

Last edited by Mike Noc; 18th January 2015 at 18:04..
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote